Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Aloha!
So, I've made it to Hawaii! And I have to say I am completely spaced out! So many different thoughts and feelings, mixed with 3 days of broken and sporadic sleep... it's a lot! But I am safe and well. It’s 9.49am in Hawaii, the sun is out and it is hot already! I’m sat outside my dorm, which is a wooden terrapin hut, writing to you under the shade of a tree. And if you’re reading this then you can guarantee that you have been in my thoughts over the past 12 hours.

The journey from leaving Chester took me a total of 33 hours. Every flight I got was delayed which didn’t affect my connections, just meant the whole trip was long. Still, the journey went smoothly until I got into Seattle, where I got stuck in customs for a bit. They just couldn’t seem to understand what or why I was doing what I was. It felt like I was talking a different language to them thought they were American. But, after an hour of waiting and explaining the purpose of my trip etc. etc. I was interviewed by someone who actually seemed to want to help - which was nice! And got in. So I was meant to arrive in Seattle at11.25am (Seattle time – 7.25pm British), after getting through customs and having the delay on the flight it was actually 3pm. I was the only one in customs when I left, went down to get my bag, which was the only bag in baggage claim, went through to go leave and they had closed the security gates! So had to have a gate opened just for me, it was a sad moment. But the whole procedure is probably exaggerated in my head just because I was so tired by this point! I was meant to meet Katie and Sam KNOTT in the airport but thought there was no way they’d still be kicking around almost 4 hours later, and had no idea where to get to the caracole where we’d arranged to meet. So I started to head towards my gate when I heard on the overhead speaker: ‘Can Kaylee Sadler please make her way to caracole 1 where her party is waiting for her.’ Ah, it was the most refreshing feeling ever, thank you guys!

We had about 1 and a half hours to see Seattle. They drove me in (in a mini cooper!) and we walked around the ma-hosive buildings, saw the first Starbucks and got some good pastries. Then before I knew it was back on a plane and was heading towards Hawaii! This flight dragged out so much, I tried to sleep again but still only managed a couple of hours. But was kept company by a classic Hawaiian-Polynesian for most the way, he filled so many of the stereotypical boxed it was brilliant! Then arrival into Honolulu was easy (no customs) and I did get picked up from the airport – whoop!

By the time I arrived on the base I had completely lost all sense of time and reality. I think it was around 11am at home, 12am here. And man I missed home so much! There were already 4 girls in the room (there will be 8 of us) and they all knew each other from there DTS, were all very loud, it was a lot to try and take in. Lying on my bed that night I was running through all of the friends and faces I had left behind. I guess you don’t truly appreciate what you have until it’s gone. I knew I was going to miss Chester and fiends and family but didn’t expect to miss you so much.

Today breakfast was at 7 – they have everything so early - dinners at 5! But the adjustment is happening and everyone is lovely. The place is absolutely beautiful, the colours and greens, the flowers, the smells, the sounds, everything is tropical and different and new. I cannot believe I am living here! The base is also so basic though, which makes it fun! The showers and more like taps dripping from a height and friendly cockroaches to keep you company when you’re washing you’re hair! And doors are never shut or locked here, it truly is something different. I know this is where I am meant to be, and I am grateful for what I have waiting for me at home. I feel a mixture of emotions at the moment, but am hopeful and excited to see what God’s got in store!

Lots of love from across the waters,
Kas x

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kas,

    I'm almost certain you will make friends very quickly, you are too likeable not too! You were very much missed at D'biz this week. Anyway, It sounds like a beautful place to be and we're all very jealous.

    Look forward to hearing more.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kas, so great to read this! Very interested to hear how you`re getting on. Exciting stuff indeed, especially those lovely cockroaches!!! Lots of love, Emily Pineapple x x x

    ReplyDelete