I have been here for two weeks to the day, that’s a little scary! Time has its own unique bubble here - in one sense I feel like I’ve been here for months and
The base here is described by the long term workers as a ‘3rd world base in a 1st world country.’ Well I did argue the other day that it’s not exactly 3rd world, for example we do have toilets with doors on them, and they do flush…just. But it is very minimalistic. And yet we are in such a rich neighbourhood, surrounded by big old American houses all with two cars and nice drives. We live in tin and wooden huts. It’s quite a contrast – and I enjoy it. Town is 20min away on a jiggle bus, which I have just about got the hang of (after ending up in another valley for two hours) and town is MASIVE! Big streets, big cars, huge skyscrapers, and then a
Surfing isn’t happening as much as I would have hoped, but that’s ok, there is so much other stuff going on that I wouldn’t want to miss out on. My hope is to get on the board at least once a week, but I’m getting in the water at least 3 times a week. If only I had my own board! Hopefully this way I’ll still come back with skills to put Sam to shame with… But the waves are so different to anything I’ve ever seen in the
The course is AMAZING though! And completely exhausting! There is so much to take in everyday and the Bible has just been blown wide open for me. Learning about the context of what was going on in places like
The people here are really lovely. Though Americans are so loud! But, they’re fun. Sharing a room again is fun, though sleep isn’t as easy when people go to bed at different times and breakfast is always at 7. Still my body is adjusting. Anyway, I should probably go and hang out with people. Will try and keep you updated more in what’s going on. Feel free to test my knowledge and faith in any way you wish to. I won’t pretend to always have an answer (by any stretch!) but enjoy the challenge and there are a lot of cool and knowledgeable people around to ask!
Thinking of home and the wonderful people there. Stay in contact.
Kas x
No comments:
Post a Comment